There may currently be a public backlash against sugar but that doesn’t mean that you can’t incorporate sweet candy shades in to your wardrobe. Here’s my picks of the cutest pastel shades to brighten up your look during this dull winter weather.
Sunday 12 January 2014
This green smoothie is super healthy and super easy to make! I make mine the night before and store in the fridge so it’s ready to enjoy first thing in the morning. Packed with vitamins, fibre and essential nutrients, this smoothie will keep you full until lunch and is the perfect breakfast if you are looking to lose weight or just be healthier in general.
2 handfuls of spinach
1 apple (any variety)
2 small stalks of celery
2 handfuls of blueberries
1 cup of milk (I used soya)
- Finely chop the spinach, banana,
apple and celery and throw in to the mixer.
- Add the blueberries and cup of milk
- Blend for around 3 minutes or until
the mixture is smooth, I like mine quite thick and lumpy.
Tuesday 7 January 2014
January; possibly one of the most depressing months of the year. It’s cold, the days seem shorter, our bank accounts are emptier and all of the festive excitement is over for another year. Ok I officially want to cry now.
But, fear not! There are small changes that you can make to remain positive and set yourself up for a great year ahead!
Let’s start with finances, more or less everyone has a limited cash flow in January so learn to make the most out of a bad situation and economise.
- Try shopping somewhere cheaper when
doing your weekly grocery shop and opt for economy and supermarket brands
over the more expensive ones.
- Plan meals in advance: why not bulk
buy basic ingredients and make a curry/soup/stew/stir fry at the beginning
of the week that will last a few meal times or double up as lunch the next
- Take a packed lunch to work instead
of wasting money buying food each day.
- Give up your daily coffee habit and
save it for a Friday treat, you will be surprised how much money you save.
- Plan a night in with friends and
watch a film while finishing off your leftover Christmas chocolates and
alcohol instead of going out somewhere. You could even have a swap shop
where you each bring unwanted clothes/ items/Christmas gifts and swap them.
Hello new wardrobe for no cost!
- Have a clear out and sell any unused or unwanted things on eBay – a perfect way to get rid of those bad Christmas gifts.
Next on the list is health. Did you over indulge a little over the last month? Maybe your jeans are feeling a little tighter? With a little hard work and motivation you will feel better and achieve good health and fitness in no time.
· Forget the cliché of signing up for a gym membership. Unless you actually plan on making good use of it and sticking at it, don’t waste your money! Instead opt for a pay as you go class, try something new like Zumba, spinning or boxcersize. The class options are endless so you are bound to find something you like.
· If cost is an issue take up running. Get a group of friends together and plan some evening runs or weekend walks, you could even go on walks during your lunch break. Alternatively you could take it in turns to meet at a friend’s house and do workout DVD’s or videos online.
· Start stretching. Yoga and Pilates will do your body the world of good and trust me, you will feel amazing. If high-intensity cardio is not your thing then you will find these relaxing exercises much more appealing. Classes are available all over the place or you could even practise the moves in the comfort of your own home.
· Eat clean. Forget the hundreds of fad diets and juice cleanses around. The key to a healthier diet is simple; just eat fresh fruit and vegetables and limit your carb and sugar intake. Avoid takeaways and processed foods and try to prepare meals yourself as much as possible, this way you can control the portion size and what goes in to it.
· Drink lots of water! It may seem like a challenge at first but once you get used to it you will find your body craves it. If plain water is too boring for you, add a dash of fresh lemon or lime juice. Not only will you feel better on the inside, but you will see changes on the outside too, such as glowing skin, an improved complexion and stronger, healthier hair.
The big build up and excitement of Christmas is over and it feels like everything goes downhill from here. We’re back at work and summer is a long way off yet, but now is the perfect time to plan ahead and think of what you want to achieve in the up and coming year. What can you do to make it your best year yet?
· Start arranging a summer holiday. Do you fancy a girly holiday, a relaxing week somewhere hot or perhaps that trip you have always dreamed of? By booking now and paying in instalments you will have something to motivate you and look forward to instead of getting caught up in the January blues.
· Do something for charity. Now is the ideal time to sign up for a race or to run a marathon as you will have a good few months to train and raise the money. There are so many things you can do, how about a sponsored sky dive or mountain hike? Have a think and get creative, this will give you an activity to concentrate on and work towards while also doing something worthwhile.
· Learn something new. Is your New Year’s resolution to try something different this year? How about learning another language? Or perhaps you have an interest in food and want to learn to cook? Why not take up painting or try an art and crafts class? Whatever it is that you want to do, only you can make that change so go for it – what’s stopping you?!
· Try a new look. If you have been contemplating a new hairstyle or trying something new with your make-up, go for it. Start the New Year with a change. Not only will you feel better about yourself, compliments from others will make you feel good and your new appearance will symbolise a new start and create a fresh canvas to set you up for a successful year ahead!
I hope these tips have been helpful and have inspired you to start the New Year positively and feeling good about yourself as well as the year ahead. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it’s what makes you happy, because life is too short to be anything different.
Thursday 2 January 2014
I’ll start by wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year :-)
Me on NYE
My New Year’s Eve wasn’t the most eventful, I joined my mum, sister and friend Karen for a delicious meal at a lovely Italian restaurant in town. The plan was to go for a couple of drinks after the meal and then my sister and I were going to a party at a cocktail bar in town a little later, however after enjoying delicious pizzas and hot chocolate at the restaurant all we felt like doing was heading home and changing in to PJ’s to chill by the fire!
The freezing temperature and wind outside didn't help this! We went for one drink and then made the decision to go home with mum and Karen as we were feeling tired and everywhere looked dead, so we didn’t want to be waiting around, bored on our own.
I was so pleased to get in to my warm bed when I got home and on the plus side we saved money and were feeling fresh and hangover free on New Year’s Day. I don’t care if people think it’s boring I think staying in is definitely the new going out!
Me and my sister.
So it’s now 2014, and what better time is there than the start of a brand new year to think about what you would like to achieve in the future, set yourself new goals and make changes in your life?
I have always believed that if change is needed, there is no time like the present to make it so why wait for a new day/week/year? However I do like to make a couple of New Year’s Resolutions and set myself some goals so that I have something to aim towards.
Last year I wanted to pass my driving test, return to education and be happier, and I achieved all three J I found the last one the hardest and at some points it was questionable if I would actually get there, but after having a fabulous Christmas and ending the year on a high, I think it can be crossed off the list.
This year I hope to…
- Get a place at one of my top two
- Be a happier/better person.
- Make the most of everything I have.
- Make 2014 my best year yet.
How was your New Year? Do you have any Resolutions?